On August 21, 1959, Hawaii became the 50th U.S. state and it’s only U.S. state completely made up of islands, located outside North America.The “Hawaii” name is thought to derive from Hawaiki. Hawaii is the 8th smallest geographically and the 11th-least populous state Of the 50 U.S. states.
Hawaii Quick Facts
- Current Governor: David Y. Ige (Democrat)
- Capital: Honolulu
- Population: 1,415,872 (2019 est.)
- Residents: Hawaiian
- Land Area: 6,422.63 sq km
- Water Area: 4,509.09 sq km
- Total Area: 10,931.72 SQ KM
- Width: 93 miles
- Length: 92 miles long
- State Motto: “Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono (The Life of the Land Is Perpetuated in Righteousness)”
- Nickname: Aloha State
- Electoral votes: 4
- Seats in U.S. House of Representatives: 2 (of 435)
- State Song: “Hawai’i Pono’i”
- Date of Statehood: Aug. 21, 1959
- Time Zone: Hawaiian (GMT − 10 hours)
- Official Website of Hawaii: ehawaii.gov
- State abbreviation/Postal code: HI
- Origin of name:
Hawaii State Slogan
The official state slogan of Hawaii:
“Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono” –
“Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono (The Life of the Land Is Perpetuated in Righteousness)”
State Flag of Hawaii
Hawaii is the only US state flag to include a foreign country’s national flag. The state flag of Hawaii contains the Union Flag of the United Kingdom.
State Bird of Hawaii
Nene is the official state bird of Hawaii. They are also known as nēnē and Hawaiian goose. In 1957, Nene recognized as the state bird of Hawaii.
State Flower of Hawaii
Yellow hibiscus is the official state flower of Hawaii. It’s also known as Pua Aloalo or Ma`o-hau-hele. In 1988, Yellow hibiscus was designated as the official state flower of Hawaii.
State Sport of Hawaii
Outrigger Canoe Paddling is the official sport of Hawaii. In 1986, the State Team Sport designated outrigger canoe paddling as the state sport. This sport is a historic significance in the Hawaiian Islands.
Hawaiian Poi Dog
Hawaiian Poi Dog is the official state dog of Hawaii. Poi dog is an extinct breed of pariah dog from Hawaii.
State Fish of Hawaii
Reef triggerfish (Rhinecanthus rectangulus) is the official state fish of Hawaii. The reef triggerfish is also known as the rectangular triggerfish, wedgetail triggerfish. its Hawaiian name is humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa.
State Seal of Hawaii
The State of Hawaii was designated officially by Act 272 of the 1959 Territorial Legislature and is based on the territorial seal.